The mission of Aurora Sister Cities International is to promote mutually beneficial local and global partnerships centered on international trade, and cultural and educational exchange.
Aurora Sister Cities International aims to build relationships which expand cultural and educational exchange between our Aurora, Colorado community and its sister and friendship cities. Additionally, Aurora Sister Cities International aims to serve as the liaison, facilitator and guide to foster international trade opportunities between Aurora, Colorado and its sister and friendship cities.
Areas of Focus
What We Do
At a municipal level, Aurora Sister Cities International acts as the city of Aurora’s liaison with its various partner cities, establishes new global friendship and sister city partnerships on behalf of the city, creates an international business network between Aurora and its sister and friendship cities, and facilitates mutually beneficial trade opportunities through other strategic global partnerships.
At a community level, Aurora Sister Cities International creates a corps of committed, globally-minded volunteers who support our global sister city initiatives, perform various activities that highlight Aurora’s diaspora communities, and engage in cultural and educational exchange activities that build relationships and trust. This is accomplished through the creation of “country committees” or other special interest committees which then undertake specific initiative which foster education and awareness of, and seek to engage our local international community.
Aurora Sister Cities International engages in three types of strategic relationships with our international partners:
- Sisters Cities – These are cities in which the mayor and city council of each city vote and agree to a formal partnership.
- Friendship Cities – These are cities in which the mayor of each city agree to a partnership.
- Strategic Exchanges – These are programs facilitated by Aurora Sister Cities International which provide a direct and immediate economic benefit to the city of Aurora and/or its businesses, and which may help develop a future friendship or sister city relationship.
Our Programs and Initiatives
Arts & Culture
- Participate in the city of Aurora’s GlobalFest with Ethiopian and Korean cultural showcases.
- Launch A Mosaic of Cultures: Aurora’s Ethiopian Communities, a collaborative exhibit with the Aurora History Museum highlighting Aurora’s Ethiopian-born communities. Accompanying the summer-long exhibit will be a series of events showcasing the culture, traditions and history of Aurora Ethiopians.
- Fund and plan future exhibits with the Aurora History Museum aimed at showcasing other diaspora communities living and working in Aurora (2016-2021).
- Grow partnerships with other local cultural organizations to improve international arts and culture offerings throughout the city of Aurora and the Metropolitan area.
- Launch a micro-grant program to increase arts and culture offerings in Aurora.
Business & Trade
- Plan and implement reciprocal trade and tourism missions with our South Korean partners in Seongnam City, Republic of Korea.
- Pursue two to four new friendship cities, with strategic focus aimed at business and trade prospects.
- Grow trade missions for the city of Aurora and Aurora businesses.
Education & Civic Engagement
- Facilitate a collaboration between medical and public health school partners in Aurora and Adama, Ethiopia.
- Plan and execute an English language instruction consulting mission to Adama, Ethiopia.
- Launch the pan-Ethiopian library project.
- Launch a global youth leadership program.
International Development & Humanitarian Aid
- Launch with our partner Project C.U.R.E. The Hospital Help for Adama medical supply drive.
- Pursue a water project aimed at helping partners in Adama, Ethiopia improve their water infrastructure by 2018.
Why We are Unique
Aurora Sister Cities International is unique for the following reasons:
- We are the only organization in Aurora that officially promotes global partnerships for the city of Aurora and its citizens.
- We engage Aurora’s highly diverse international community through our local committees and other cultural and educational exchange initiatives.
- We are positioned to enhance international trade through our relationships with cities across the world.
- We are positioned to assist Aurorans doing business abroad, particularly those located in our sister and friendship cities.